Recreation reserve officially opened

IT’S OFFICIAL: After many years of planning and building, the Mansfield Recreation Reserve redevelopment was officially opened on Saturday by Bill Sykes (MLA, Benalla), representing Deputy Premier and Minster for Regional and Rural Development Peter Ryan and Minister for Sport and Recreation Damian Drum. Pictured (from left) are Quentin Thomson (president MFNC), Cindy McLeish (MLA, Seymour), Bill Sykes (MLA, Benalla) and Cr Paul Sladdin (Mansfield Shire Council). PHOTO: Peter Hunt

AFTER many years of dreams, plans and construction the redevelopment of the Mansfield Recreation Reserve was officially opened last Saturday before the Mansfield Eagles v Benalla Saints game.

Representing Deputy Premier and Minster for Regional and Rural Development Peter Ryan and Minister for Sport and Recreation Damian Drum, Bill Sykes (MLA, Benalla) opened the new reserve.

The $2.2 million upgrade to the recreation reserve included a $1 million investment from the Victorian Government Regional Growth Fund and a further $161,000 through the Country Football Netball Program.

Mansfield Shire Council contributed $640,000 and local businesses, club members and community organisations contributed a massive $249,000 of in-kind labor and materials to complete the project.

Mr Sykes said it had been an ambitious project that had the support of the local council and user groups.

“The project included the reorientation of the football oval to comply with league standards and provide a safer ground for players, improved drainage and ground surface to ensure smooth playing conditions for football and cricket,” he said.

To continue reading this story, click here to access our digital edition

Classifieds

In Person

98 High St
Mansfield, 3724

 

Office Hours

9:00am to
5pm Mon-Fri

By Phone

5775 2115

When to book

Courier Classifieds

Noon Monday

North East Jobs

3pm Friday

Vehicles & Boats

Four weeks advertising with picture from only $20